tirsdag, november 14, 2006

Visual Studio 2005 Build Performance

I had some performance issues with my Visual Studio 2005, where one of my C# ASP.NET web sites simply took forever to build and compile. I knew that there was an issue in VS 2005 with large Visual Basic projects due to a compiler error in the Visual Basic compiler(http://blogs.msdn.com/webdevtools/archive/2006/07/24/677180.aspx) but I am not using VB!

Then it hit me, ASP.NET web sites can run with both C# and VB code mixed so the Visual Basic compiler must run each time you build your website. To test this, I simply removed Visual Basic from my installation (seldom use it anyway) and bang ! – My website builds lightning fast again.

The lesson learned is this:
- Performance problems with compiling your website?
- Remove Visual Basic from your Visual Studio installation! (or apply the MS hotfix)

Ingen kommentarer: